Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 04-26-2011, 05:45 PM
Maledictus's Avatar
Maledictus Maledictus is offline
Champion
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Haarlem, NH, The Netherlands
Posts: 163
Default

I actually wish there were less bag slots. Hauling 6 tons of steel isn't very realistic. Now, I suppose realism isn't a big issue for this game, but still. It annoyed me enough to mod out all bags with the exception of the 8 slot ones. The pressure of having to make choices along the way (and the fact that you can't make tons of cash by selling all you find) adds to the experience, for me anyway. Still, that's personal taste.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-26-2011, 05:50 PM
Bluddy Bluddy is offline
Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,060
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maledictus View Post
I actually wish there were less bag slots. Hauling 6 tons of steel isn't very realistic. Now, I suppose realism isn't a big issue for this game, but still. It annoyed me enough to mod out all bags with the exception of the 8 slot ones. The pressure of having to make choices along the way (and the fact that you can't make tons of cash by selling all you find) adds to the experience, for me anyway. Still, that's personal taste.
I absolutely agree. I also think what would be really good is to reduce the need for slots by making a potion bag or something. I once suggested an interface where you could click a button next to a stat to use up a potion of the corresponding kind. I really don't have the patience to sort through all of my potions.

Once you reduce the need to use up slots with potions and food, you really don't need too many slots unless you have the patience to go back and forth to sell junk. Large bags for that kind of thing could then slow you down to be more realistic. You'd only carry those bags when you want to haul a lot of stuff, similar to the way it is in real life.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-26-2011, 06:34 PM
Evander's Avatar
Evander Evander is offline
Expert
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 77
Default

usually expanded inventory mods followed many games, showing that people wanted them.

it is a matter of choice I think, either to bother with carrying all the items, or not

Personally, I'm a scavenger type of person and I find it somewhat better to have expanded inv mod, rather then to create dozens of mule characters.

and about carrying many items: I fear that adding items weight to the game right now (to limit the amount carried) is likely to be a disaster.
such changes are better left for DoP2 or DC2, rather then to be a part of re-balancing.

but an idea to make a potion bag or a food bag is quite interesting.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-27-2011, 12:06 AM
Bluddy Bluddy is offline
Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,060
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evander View Post
usually expanded inventory mods followed many games, showing that people wanted them.

it is a matter of choice I think, either to bother with carrying all the items, or not

Personally, I'm a scavenger type of person and I find it somewhat better to have expanded inv mod, rather then to create dozens of mule characters.

and about carrying many items: I fear that adding items weight to the game right now (to limit the amount carried) is likely to be a disaster.
such changes are better left for DoP2 or DC2, rather then to be a part of re-balancing.

but an idea to make a potion bag or a food bag is quite interesting.
Yeah I wasn't talking about real ideas for the game. I agree that adding something like weight now would not be relevant.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-27-2011, 05:18 AM
forevernomad forevernomad is offline
Expert
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 34
Default

I've always liked the bag system of nwn, tetris inventory with encumbrance is always my idea of fun, then it allows for the all powerful 'bag of holding'.

I agree with food and potion bags, then you are also instantly down to two bags for your actual loot.

It would be nice to have two hotkeys to auto-use the lowest level food or drink you are carrying to free up quickslots and ensure that you can eat and drink whatever is in your bag, having to restock quickslots with the same food type because the stack ran out or having to often replace the quickslot because you have ten different kinds of food is very annoying.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-27-2011, 09:36 AM
Shadow's Avatar
Shadow Shadow is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 9,443
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evander View Post
besides, how hard it is to make it modable? from exe I can see there is a list of bag slots at the end of the file.
Making it moddable would be easy code wise. The problem is if someone tries to load a character with a conflicting mod (which will happen) than it is likely that the size will be 0 and will very likely destroy their stash. I could special case that, but it gets kind of messy really quick.
__________________
Steven Peeler
Designer/programmer
Depths of Peril, Kivi's Underworld, Din's Curse, Drox Operative, Zombasite, Din's Legacy, & Drox Operative 2
Patreon
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-27-2011, 04:19 PM
Evander's Avatar
Evander Evander is offline
Expert
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 77
Default

well that's a usual problem with mods that many are often conflicting.

but as long as it does not affect vanilla game, then this is a risk modding people can take.

we will just need to add an info to a mod:
"this mod may invalidate your saved games. please back them up before installing this mod"

Quote:
The problem is if someone tries to load a character with a conflicting mod (which will happen) than it is likely that the size will be 0 and will very likely destroy their stash. I could special case that, but it gets kind of messy really quick.
I saw once in one of the games, can't remember which one, that a saved game actually stored extra items but they were inaccessible from the game when the mod was removed.
When the mod was re-installed, items were visible again.

I guess it is a matter of finding the right solution...
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-27-2011, 04:28 PM
Evander's Avatar
Evander Evander is offline
Expert
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 77
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy View Post
Yeah I wasn't talking about real ideas for the game.
Actually, Bluddy.

Food or potions bag is quite possible. Inventory slots act in that way, so that they put a restriction on an item that can be equipped in certain slot.
Quote:
// Head slot

ItemSlot
{
position 307.0 207.0
size 30.0 30.0
inventorySlot Equipment Head
itemSlotType Head
texture "Textures/UI/ui_icons/iconslot_helm.tga"
}
Food bag would act in the same way - you would need to mod in a bags with slots that can only hold food, here are the problems:

1. can a slot be defined to hold food/potions?
2. certainly, there is no logic in the game to check item type when it is acquired and place it in a food bag. For that reason you would have to manually move food to that sort of bag
3. no hotkey exists to "use lowest level food" from your food bag.

It's not something impossible to place in the game with the next patch. But it is so cool that it may be more suited for a next expansion
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-28-2011, 06:58 AM
Maledictus's Avatar
Maledictus Maledictus is offline
Champion
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Haarlem, NH, The Netherlands
Posts: 163
Default small request

Since the patch is still beta, thought I'd ask: is it possible to (on game start) center the game window on the desktop when running in windowed mode? It's something most games do, plus my desktop is set up in such a way that having the game in the upper left corner is not comfortable. Yes, I can move it but still. I guess this may be a personal taste thing, and if nobody wants it (or if it's not desired) then skip it, but I had to ask. Same for the other Soldak games.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-28-2011, 09:53 AM
Shadow's Avatar
Shadow Shadow is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 9,443
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maledictus View Post
Since the patch is still beta, thought I'd ask: is it possible to (on game start) center the game window on the desktop when running in windowed mode?
I wouldn't put that in before the next official patch, but that's something I might put in sometime.
__________________
Steven Peeler
Designer/programmer
Depths of Peril, Kivi's Underworld, Din's Curse, Drox Operative, Zombasite, Din's Legacy, & Drox Operative 2
Patreon
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2007 - 2019 Soldak Entertainment, Inc.