Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Zombasite > Zombasite
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2016, 04:23 PM
Amateur

Default Demon Hunter's Energy Shield Skill - Underwhelming?

The Demon Hunter has a defensive skill called Energy Shield in the Warden tree. It gives some significant defensive bonuses when it activates, however it doesn't seem to proc often enough to be of any real use. Right now it activates only 10% of the time when you miss an attack. Does anyone have a different opinion regarding this skill? Is it worth investing in at all?

edit: even missing frequently barely makes it proc... it definitely seems like less than 10% proc rate. It would be so much more useful if it activated from crits rather than misses (after all, nobody wants to miss)

Last edited by cam_robert : 09-14-2016 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:43 AM
Amateur

in my opinion most proc skills are not terribly good. while a lot of the skills sound very cool, a lot of them have limited use or not useful at all. I would say gear is very important in this game, the best defense is often finding better armor. the good defensive skills would be ones that boost your defense directly. some like shield mastery or plate/mail armor skills will boost by percentage and demon armor in demon hunter's case, so more useful when you already have high armor/defense values. some other useful defensive skills are the ones that slow down the enemy allowing you to escape.

also a very good defense is defeating your enemies as soon as possible. at first I used some defensive skills thinking it would help, the effects were marginal, then I respecced to attack skills that increase my damage by % spirit strike or allow me to attack multiple units at the same time like ravage allowed me to defeat enemies quickly to the point I do not have to worry about defense.

Currently my demon hunter is using Spirit Strike, Ravage, Two-Handed Mastery and Plate Armor. Ravage lets me defeat multiple enemies at once, but I use Spirit strike for tough enemies. Two handed mastery raises the damage for both attacks as well as auto attacks if I run out of mana, and plate armor lets me make use of all armor pieces I collect and has a minor boost.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:21 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolf View Post
in my opinion most proc skills are not terribly good. while a lot of the skills sound very cool, a lot of them have limited use or not useful at all. I would say gear is very important in this game, the best defense is often finding better armor. the good defensive skills would be ones that boost your defense directly. some like shield mastery or plate/mail armor skills will boost by percentage and demon armor in demon hunter's case, so more useful when you already have high armor/defense values. some other useful defensive skills are the ones that slow down the enemy allowing you to escape.

also a very good defense is defeating your enemies as soon as possible. at first I used some defensive skills thinking it would help, the effects were marginal, then I respecced to attack skills that increase my damage by % spirit strike or allow me to attack multiple units at the same time like ravage allowed me to defeat enemies quickly to the point I do not have to worry about defense.

Currently my demon hunter is using Spirit Strike, Ravage, Two-Handed Mastery and Plate Armor. Ravage lets me defeat multiple enemies at once, but I use Spirit strike for tough enemies. Two handed mastery raises the damage for both attacks as well as auto attacks if I run out of mana, and plate armor lets me make use of all armor pieces I collect and has a minor boost.
Thanks Dolf. I think concentrating on just a small set of skills is definitely the best option. How do you feel about the Demon Hunter's ward skills and auras? They seem kinda 'meh' to me but maybe they're worth it. Also, is spirit strike better than impale?

I also can't help compare the demon hunter to the new death knight, who just seems superior offensively and defensively. Maybe I just need to spend more time with my DH (only level 13 atm)
Old 09-16-2016, 01:51 AM
Amateur

I just noticed I have one level into Magical deflection, the +30 defense certainly doesn't hurt.

impale has higher crit rate, which means even more damage. but critting is proc based, which is not that reliable. Unholy strike and Spirit Strike both debuff the enemy, unholy strike does massive lightning resistance and slows movement perhaps good if you or allies do lightning damage or good for running away. spirit strike decreases all resistances, defense and attack values. that means the enemy will miss more and dodge less. making it easier for you to hit and dodge them. so not only is it offensive, it is also defensive. it can stack up to 5 times. so that is quite a large debuff on the enemy, its most useful in tough fights. the wards, it seems it only lasts 15 seconds but has a 1 minute cooldown, I try to avoid those skills because I prefer the skills I can continuously use. But Ice Ward looks like it could be useful for running away from enemies. the circle of power also says time limit 15.0 should be 15 seconds. I like the buffs that have no cooldown and last ten minutes haha, the priest has them. it seems the demonologist branch is not very useful. impale being the best for high crits but that is about it.

I am playing one of every class, warrior/demon hunter/death knight certainly has some similarities. but demonhunter does not have sword mastery, which boosts damage, attack, and parry, making it the ultimate offensive and defensive weapon. and ravage only hits up to 3 enemies. it has shield sweep hits 5 enemies like whirlwind and slaughter, and stuns, but has a 20 second cooldown and requires a shield. useful for preventing enemies attacking you, if you haven't defeated them already. im sure its quite useful when your swarmed by powerful rogues and elite enemies.