Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Drox Operative > Drox Operative game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2011, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganazer View Post
There must be some kind of sci-fi virus spreading amongst indie game developers right now and its infected Steven.
At least for us it would be a coincidence. I didn't notice so many upcoming space games until we decided to do a space game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloodSpectre View Post
What perspective are you thinking of? Top down real-time, first person flight/space-sim, etc? I'm more of a top-down fan myself...
Probably something similar to our other games, but we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castruccio View Post
Is the combat going to be real time like DC or turnbased like MOO?
Real time

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgimp View Post
Is this going to be MP like Dins Curse?
The current plan is to have co-op multiplayer like DC.
Patreon
Old 05-04-2011, 02:12 PM
Expert

I love the idea that I'll be playing an action RPG... while the AI is playing a strategy game all around me (that I can influence). It really is a logical evolution of the dynamic game concept.

I'd preorder now if I could.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:14 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy View Post
I think as all of these references to other games show, it's going to be hard for Soldak to differentiate its game in this genre.
I see what you're saying. The ARPG genre was very stagnant and Soldak was the only company making any effort to innovate. All of those games I listed are trying very hard to innovate as were SR2, Weird Worlds, GSB, and SC2.

BUT, I am not going to jump the gun here until I hear more about Steven's ideas. I would assume he has been down this thought path and has a very cunning plan forming in his head already.

And yeah, I wanna trade to. And mine. And build. And smuggle narcotics. But I'll be open to anything Steven has in mind.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:15 PM
Champion

Well, might as well mention these two here as well then----the former often gets mentioned as an old war horse of sorts, the latter almost never despite being rather similar, yet different, and still a long running project. To this day, I've never been able to find out how one might have influenced the other, or even really any proper commentary examining the pair for good or ill...

http://www.neurohack.com/transcendence/index.html Transcendence Free

http://www.lostinflatspace.com/ Lost in Flatspace II: Rise of the Scarrid Only available on Impulse last I checked, as that was where I bought my copy many months ago.

Soldak's biting off a big thing here, but I honestly think a distillation of the good from the above games and Space Rangers II, plus some unique Soldak sensibilities added into the mix, should result in a rather high quality game that the sci-fi folk should respond favorably to.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:26 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy View Post
I think in order to differentiate the game, one thing that can be done is to combine a real ARPG side like boarding ships, investigating planets etc with spaceship battles. I don't think anyone has done that before and it could work. You'd then upgrade your ship and your character separately.
Au contraire. See Universe 2. Actually, don't. The mainframe-esque interface is painful. The first two Universe games were so cool, but the interfaces were bad even by early 80s standards.

I never got Universe 1 working, and U2 had such ugly graphics on the IBM port, combined with the overly modal interface, that I didn't last long. It'd be great to have an updated Universe, even if I had to fight in realtime instead of turn-based. Please to be skipping the original $100 price, though.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:52 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manumitted View Post
Au contraire. See Universe 2. Actually, don't. The mainframe-esque interface is painful. The first two Universe games were so cool, but the interfaces were bad even by early 80s standards.

I never got Universe 1 working, and U2 had such ugly graphics on the IBM port, combined with the overly modal interface, that I didn't last long. It'd be great to have an updated Universe, even if I had to fight in realtime instead of turn-based. Please to be skipping the original $100 price, though.
Never ever heard of those game, and I've heard of quite a few games. If that's the last game that did this, I think we're safe.

Fleshing it out some more, I think that the game could go more in the direction of Star Trek than Star Wars. ie. Large ships having laser beams and torpedoes used mostly for disabling the enemy. The main attack would take place by boarding. You could have a covenant aka your team of hired guns. Imagine meeting an unidentified ship. Could be an enemy, could be a really good abandoned treasure. Turns out it was pirates, and you fell into their trap. They invade your ship. You have to fight them to the bottom level, then use the teleporter to get to their ship levels and continue fighting until you defeat them. Perhaps you'll even convince their boss to surrender and join you.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:59 PM
Legend

Quote:
Soldak's biting off a big thing here, but I honestly think a distillation of the good from the above games and Space Rangers II, plus some unique Soldak sensibilities added into the mix, should result in a rather high quality game that the sci-fi folk should respond favorably to.
Yeah well, just recreating the good parts of Space Rangers II is a monumental effort. Space Rangers II was not created by a ~1 man team. It's considered one of the best, most dynamic games ever. That's what Soldak is up against.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:06 PM
Champion

NICE NEWS!

And like many other have played Portal 2: "I'm in SPAAAAACE "

First question: a big step, are you sure? Three fantasy games seem to be ok to try something different? Cool!

Tip: put interesting characters in! Not all npc must be scripted but at least important one
Old 05-04-2011, 03:46 PM
Elite

I'm thinking about doing a lot of game writing since I was happiest writing for Depths of Peril.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:36 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Really quick summary
--------------------
MOO from a mercenary captain's point of view.
Hey Steven, there's a bug on your website. Apparently there's no "Super Early Preorder" button.