Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Drox Operative > Drox Operative game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2011, 08:51 AM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnakotus View Post
What are you talking about? Din's probably sold more copies than SR2 did before SR2 came to DD. It'll be 'compared' to SR2 the same way that Din's is compared to Titan's Quest or Torchlight or Diablo or whatever, and it'll probably come off better for the same reasons.
That may be true (about the numbers) -- I have no idea. But take a look at that comparison: Din's vs. Titan's Quest or Torchlight, Din's wins hands down since it plays in a completely different arena. DC didn't have to do what Titan's Quest or Torchlight did better because it did completely different (and more impressive) things. Unknown space game vs. SR2 will have to do what SR2 does, and do it better.

Quote:
Is there any reason why it can't be a dynamic spaceship game that's better than SR2 (beyond the lack of 'space English')?
Didn't say it can't be. But if you think of the huge advantage Soldak had in the ARPG realm... it just won't have the same advantage here.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

I really don't think we are going to have a problem being different than SR2.
Patreon
Old 05-10-2011, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

In SR2 what all can you do to help your favorite faction against the Dominators?
Patreon
Old 05-10-2011, 09:58 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganazer View Post
SPAZ should be coming out today along with a demo. I'll be trying it out tonight assuming there aren't any delays!
I tried the demo last night. Its definitely an action RPG and pretty good. The interface is very easy to use which is great since Sci-Fi games can have some really bad interfaces sometimes (Like X2). Its perhaps a bit too dependent on player skill with all the aiming and dodging, which could get frustrating.

If Steven is making an action RPG sci-fi game with randomly generated content then SPAZ is probably the closest thing I have seen to that.

Back on the topic of SR2, didn't it have automated mining/collecting drones that you could leave at a planet and check up on occasionally? Maybe I am mixing it up with a different game, but I remember enjoying that feature a lot.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:07 AM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I really don't think we are going to have a problem being different than SR2.
OK glad to hear it.

Wow now that I read Spaz's About page, that really looks similar to your idea. I'm going to download that demo and take a look.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganazer View Post
Back on the topic of SR2, didn't it have automated mining/collecting drones that you could leave at a planet and check up on occasionally? Maybe I am mixing it up with a different game, but I remember enjoying that feature a lot.
Yes, and that's another great feature I forgot about. You could find some great loot and make good money by having your drones work while you did other things. There was also some risk involved in leaving your drones: If Dominators took over the system, you likely wouldn't be able to get to the planet your drones were on. You could then lose the drones to damage and you wouldn't be able to launch other drones since the total you could deploy was skill based.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:18 AM
Expert

Quote:
In SR2 what all can you do to help your favorite faction against the Dominators?
I didn't play very far into the game, but typically you weren't tied to a faction other than by your race. You didn't help your faction; you helped yourself or you helped all non-Dominators -- at least that's the impression I got from what I played.

Mount and Blade, on the other hand, which features some similar ideas to SR2, has a more distinct faction system -- you can join a faction and take part in wars and political intrigues and alliances. It's more robust in that regard, while letting you remain independent if you choose.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:49 AM
Expert

Quote:
Now that I have actually played Space Rangers 2 some, what do you guys feel are the best parts? What parts of SR2 would like to see in another game? Which parts do you not care for?
Quote:
Also I've never seen a space game have a very interesting loot/item system.
Space Rangers 2 is easily one of my favorite games of all time. I find myself frequently returning to it between big releases, and it's one of the first games I install on any new machine I build.

The order changes depending on what I had for breakfast, but here's my Top 5:

Space Rangers 2
Depths of Peril
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
Din's Curse
Kohan: Ahriman's Gift

As others have stated, the superfluous text adventures, ground-based robot-building real-time combat, arcade-like hyperspace battles and anything else that wasn't the galaxy-exploring, ship-outfitting, Dominator-busting, trade-for-profit portions of the game were appreciated but unnecessary. What you're suggesting with your as-yet untitled space game sounds nearly perfect. However, since I haven't actually answered your original question, here's why I heart Space Rangers 2:

Randomness. I consider replayability the Holy Grail of Gaming, and randomly generated galaxies, conflict and loot makes SR2 a pleasure to play, since each session will feel familiar but be completely different than the last.

Dynamic universe. The tug-of-war battle between the Dominators and the rest of space makes the game feel much more alive than most anything else I've ever played. (Soldak's titles are some of the only others that spring to mind.)

RPG with a sci-fi sheen. When people ask what kind of game SR2 is and I answer RPG, they typically respond with a slightly bewildered look. No, it's not an action game. It's not a top-down space strategy game. It's an RPG, where the only real difference is that instead of Ilumminating Greaves of Illumination that increase your light radius, you're installing a TR52 Pulsing Sensor that allows you to see 3km farther than your old LV23 Strobing Sensor. Weapon slots = gun slots. Shielding = chest armor. Ship hull = (hybrid) defense and inventory space. Destroyed ships drop loot or the galactic equivalent of gold. You get quests from NPCs. You sell stuff you've found for stuff you want. It's a classic RPG hidden beneath a facade of galactic space-faring. And it's better off for it.

Turn-based exploration and combat. This one's tricky. The game is clearly turn-based, but it conceals this beneath a very fluid Auto End of Turn mechanism that gives the illusion of real-time. I understand that this is one significant area in which your game will differ, and I'm not really concerned about the more hectic nature of Soldak's offering. However, SR2 and its ability to pause nearly anywhere and change ones approach based upon how a dynamic scenario changes in a living galaxy (e.g. a mostly-cleared system is suddenly infested with Dominators or a pirate decides to take advantage of your hobbled ship by opening fire on you as you're limping back to a Ranger base) is often a godsend. If it were twitch-based, those situations might not be nearly as survivable.

Customizable difficulty. This is one of the biggest selling points. I may want a galaxy swarming with Dominators but I'll likely also want access to better ships and technology early in the game to effectively counter their numbers. I may loathe constantly repairing my ship but enjoy never really having enough money to buy the best equipment. SR2 lets you, with a click-of-the-mouse, modify any one of eight settings (each with four 'levels') to make the game as easy or as challenging as you want. The fact that these affect your overall score makes their presence that much more appreciated. The high-score screen is a great way of chronicling your exploits, and there's a certain amount of pride in hitting the top of the list with a difficulty in excess of 100%.

Sci-fi setting. Self-explanatory, but so refreshing! Especially in regards to the aliens, their diplomatic or warlike tendencies and their respective technologies.

Loot-system. Like Soldak's games, the nearly limitless amount of gear available for your ship--both purchasable and salvageable--makes one strive to always have the best tech the galaxy has to offer. I'm constantly switching out engines, scanners, ship hulls and weapons in an effort to maximize my lethality and profitability. The fact that the developers provided a built-in search engine for the best gear only makes the hunt that much sweeter. Although it's physically painful to 'google' the location of the best weapon in the game only to find that, once you arrive, the planet or station in question is SOLD OUT. Awesome tension, though! The game has a constant lure for better stuff, managing to implement the 'carrot on a stick' more effectively than any other game I've ever played.

Multiple endings. Some people may not know this, but with diplomacy, technology and circumstance, each of the three boss battles can have up to (if memory serves) three outcomes. This means that not only are you fighting in a randomly generated universe with Dominator and coalition forces dynamically fighting for different areas of the galaxy, but once you get close to the endgame you will have multiple solutions to each of the game's biggest three problems. And you can even accomplish a partial victory, depending on how those encounters go. Check the high-score page for a hint of what could happen, but only if you don't mind mild spoilers.

There are tons of other reasons I love Space Rangers 2. I have high hopes Soldak gives me as many to post about regarding their game once it's released!

In parting, here are other good-to-awesome space games I enjoy:

Transcendence
Escape Velocity: Nova
Space Rangers
Evochron (series)
Weird Worlds (sequel to Strange Adventures in Infinite Space)
Starflight
FlatSpace II
Starfarer (curently in alpha)
S.P.A.Z. (Space Zombies and Pirates, currently in beta w/ demo)
Smugglers 4
Captain Forever
SpacePod
Freelancer

-Des
Old 05-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Expert

Quote:
  • Take back quadrants/solar systems.
  • Submit tech and nodes to stations to further develop anti-dominator research.
  • Join military vessels on incursions into Dominator space.
  • Join other Rangers that have decided to do a surgical strike and accompany them into enemy territory.
  • Defeat any one of the three 'leaders' of the Dominators. Each strikes a significant blow to their efforts. Beat the third/last and win the game.
  • Invest in bases, stations, military facilities to better prepare them for Dominator attacks
These are just off the top of my head. I'm probably forgetting some.

-Des

Last edited by Desticato : 05-10-2011 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Word choice
Old 05-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Expert

Another neat thing Space Rangers 2 has (and which M&B: With Fire and Sword now has, too) is loans. In both games, you can borrow money to fund upgrades. However, if you don't pay the loan back on time, you've pretty much made an enemy out of an entire faction and they'll no longer want anything to do with you.

I also really like SR2's on-the-fly mission difficulty. You can choose to make a quest harder or easier for more or less money. Adds a bit of depth and strategy to what typically amount to FedEx quests.