Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Drox Operative > Drox Operative game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I'm not really sure about the trading thing. It kind of opposes some of the other things that I want to do like the no weight/mass limit.
Actually I think it's a bold decision not to do trading. Trading has been done to death in space games, and IMHO it doesn't add that much to the game -- it's mostly a grind. The down side is that you can't have space pirates who raid your ship for its cargo. I think that's one of the main reasons trading is often added to space games -- just to have space piracy as an option.

Maybe instead of trading, you can just cut to the chase: have quests where you have to transport a precious/illegal cargo and there'd be a chance of pirates or the enemy stopping you. This way you get to the interesting parts without the boring grind.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:13 PM
Legend

Quote:
I'm not really sure about the trading thing. It kind of opposes some of the other things that I want to do like the no weight/mass limit.
Actually I think it's a bold decision not to do trading. Trading has been done to death in space games, and IMHO it doesn't add that much to the game -- it's mostly a grind. The down side is that you can't have space pirates who raid your ship for its cargo. I think that's one of the main reasons trading is often added to space games -- just to have space piracy as an option.

Maybe instead of trading, you can just cut to the chase: have quests where you have to transport a precious/illegal cargo and there'd be a chance of pirates or the enemy stopping you. This way you get to the interesting parts without the boring grind.

Alternatively, you can be a space pirate, stopping random ships, which would simply give you extra money instead of cargo.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:22 PM
Elite

It's been ages since I poked my nose in here

A couple of thoughts.
  • Have you considering the option of hiring/recruiting additional 'captains' (as in DoP NPCs) to build a powerful mercenary company rather than only playing the lone wolf? Perhaps with a recurring fee to maintain the contract, and only hiring ships of smaller hull size than your own.
  • I'd love to see the return of the DoP clan as opposing mercenary ships/companies. Not so well structured as in DoP, but someone that you worry about running into when dealing with faction X because you know they usually employ merc Y, who has been getting stronger lately and last time you scanned him from across the parsec he had some shiny new attachments on his outer hull...
  • I've never really liked boring set item modifiers. Bigger numbers are nice, but in this context it makes as much or more sense to offer changing base functionality. As a crude example imagine you have a plasma torpedo launcher, and an antimatter power generator. If you should happen to come across an interlink component your plasma torpedoes become antimatter torpedoes which, being in reverse phase with the target's shielding, have some level of shield piercing properties. Or perhaps offer an AoE effect that plasma torps do not have. Or, insert your own ideas. Basically, something more interesting than merely bigger numbers. Then when you find a more powerful chemical explosive torpedo that does not offer the additional benefit of the antimatter torp it becomes a harder trade off to weigh. Harder to code? Certainly. More entertaining? I think so.

And a question. Will this be fully 3d? I don't really like flat space, it's unrealistic and guts some of the tactical options that should be available in space combat.

Edit: A better (maybe) example of set item modification that I just thought of, a thruster type that when combined with a specific generator type and a particular flight stabilizer (speed/maneuver bonus item) allows you to create dangerous plasma 'trails' a la the Thraddash Torch

Last edited by Delve : 07-05-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delve View Post
And a question. Will this be fully 3d? I don't really like flat space, it's unrealistic and guts some of the tactical options that should be available in space combat.
Unless something drastically changes, it's still going to be an isometric view point. Full 3d does add some things but it also complicates a lot of stuff.

Oh and I have thought a good bit about other mercs running around in the galaxy. I'm not sure what role if any they might play in the game yet. It would be cool to have some more opposing entities in the game, but I don't want the feel of this game to end up being DoP in space.
Patreon
Old 07-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Elite

Quote:
Oh and I have thought a good bit about other mercs running around in the galaxy. I'm not sure what role if any they might play in the game yet. It would be cool to have some more opposing entities in the game, but I don't want the feel of this game to end up being DoP in space.
I agree with you, DoP in space wouldn't be any more interesting than simply playing DoP again. I think shifting merc contracts and a lack of direct warfare between mercs would be a different enough climate. You may find yourself on the same side as a particular merc as often as on the opposition if there's enough contract movement; at the same time the presence or absence of a particular merc in combat would be a purely tactical concern since the faction(s) involved are the primary interest.

Then again, you may decide that you can't stand a particular merc since you suffered a brutal defeat early in your career and now refuse to fight on the same side as him.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:28 AM
Legend

Speaking of DoP, I think one of the great weaknesses of the diplomacy system in that game is that you curried favor with the other factions by trading loot. I think this has to be avoided in the next game. It's too easy to exploit, because loot is such a plentiful commodity in this genre. Instead, becoming friendly via diplomacy should involve giving only things that are truly scarce: either doing quests (ie. giving your time) or giving some truly rare resource similar to the crystals in DoP.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:05 PM
Amateur

I hope you guys put on a lot of cool modifiers that are unique to a spaceship's needs - things you might not have put on gear in the other games. Like thrusters can have different output ratings, turning ratings (if turning is not instantaneous) which are also affected by the weight of your other components. So instead of worrying about which armor type you CAN wear, you worry about which you should use given your thrust capabilites and armor weight. Putting on that +20 attack giant laser might not be a good idea if it means you can barely get your ship moving. Some stats can also modify thrust power and hull weight so a high level can put on heavier stuff without becoming as immobile.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:26 AM
Amateur

Talking

Generally I *really* like where you're going with this game. I love most of your ideas for items. A couple comments:

1) I understand where you're coming from re: ship leveling-up, but frankly one of the things that I like most about the space genre that is hard to do well but makes for phenomenal gameplay when successful is having different *kinds* of ships that are geared to support different playing styles. The way you were talking about ships in this current version, it was hard to see any other real alternative to "bigger is better because it's a linear scale and I can add more stuff". Yes, I like more stuff too, especially with all the cool item types you're talking about. But playing a trader/pirate/smuggler role on the fringes of space sometimes appeals to me more than having the leviathan battleship I cruise all over the galaxy that makes everybody run in fear. Maybe that doesn't fit into your game concept--fair. But I think the key is having very different kinds of things you can accomplish. Maybe sneaky exploratory missions require small nondescript ships but can give you powerful new technology that can help your side/yourself turn the tide of battles, production, etc. Or something. Or you can control a master space-orbital ship that sends out smaller ships for specific missions, kind of like a space-ship version of Mech Commander 2. Except your orbital ship can be attacked and destroyed, so don't leave it for too long, and don't leave it defenseless, and if you can figure out some way to hide it... etc.

2) Just getting hordes of loot can be really fun, but after a while, it's really, really hard to sort through. I loved Depths of Peril but really dislike Din's Curse for that exact reason. In DoP I have the time to actually read through my loot, figure out what's worth keeping, give stuff to my people, etc. In DC, by the time I've figured out what my loot does, my city is attacked and I'm dead 'cause I'm not strong enough to fight back (nor is anybody else). As you can tell, I like my action a little bit slower than most fans of this genre so treat me as an outlier and take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

3) I like loot. I like salvage even better! Make me work for my loot. If I want loot, then I need to target the command and control center of my enemies so I don't destroy their weapons, or their engines so they can't escape, or whatnot. And what I destroy, is destroyed. And what I don't destroy, floats off in space and I have to catch it. Maybe a magic tractor beam can be had at lvl 5/5 with the bonus space tech I discovered in a quest on some planet, but short of that... Maybe loot helps me train my crew to target specific parts of ship over massive damage to the whole thing. Barbarian club vs. fencer's sabre...

Generally, however, I love this concept, and I can't wait to see what you come up with!