Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Drox Operative > Drox Operative game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2012, 11:40 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelLord View Post
Yes, I like that simple design also. We'll have to see if Shadow has enough time to implement something like that. On my end, the graphics are easy; but Shadow has so many other things to do at the moment.
Wish I had your skills. I recently got a Wacom tablet for my birthday but doing anything for example for my DC UI mod takes me forever.

Quote:
Meanwhile, for those who want to see a little more of the UI...

Very nice, clean and futuristic. What resolution are the space backdrops? Also, it seems like with all the different stats that need to be constantly monitored (shields, armor, structural integrity) it may be easier to convey the information via a diagram of a ship filling up with color representing integrity, armor filling up along the border of the ship, and shields around the ship. The ship diagram could be generic or it could be a render to a sprite with 0 alpha that can then be filled with color from underneath.

Last edited by Bluddy : 04-08-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:27 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy View Post
Very nice, clean and futuristic. What resolution are the space backdrops? Also, it seems like with all the different stats that need to be constantly monitored (shields, armor, structural integrity) it may be easier to convey the information via a diagram of a ship filling up with color representing integrity, armor filling up along the border of the ship, and shields around the ship. The ship diagram could be generic or it could be a render to a sprite with 0 alpha that can then be filled with color from underneath.
The backdrops are made up of multiple graphics that are at many different resolutions. Shadow has programmed them to be in layers that scroll at different rates so that some (like a distant galaxy) scroll very slowly while others (nearby stars) scroll at a much faster rate. There are many layers to give a 3D look when you are flying around. This is why I said earlier that screenshots don't do the game justice. Maybe I can talk Shadow into doing a video in the near future.

I think your ship stats idea is a cool concept. It'll have to be discussed. The idea with the UI has been to keep it as simple as possible since there is a lot of information to be digested by the player. Also there are the stat bars above the player's ship to be considered as well. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:25 PM
Legend

Quote:
The backdrops are made up of multiple graphics that are at many different resolutions. Shadow has programmed them to be in layers that scroll at different rates so that some (like a distant galaxy) scroll very slowly while others (nearby stars) scroll at a much faster rate. There are many layers to give a 3D look when you are flying around. This is why I said earlier that screenshots don't do the game justice. Maybe I can talk Shadow into doing a video in the near future.
That's pretty darn cool. I'd love to see it in action.

Quote:
I think your ship stats idea is a cool concept. It'll have to be discussed. The idea with the UI has been to keep it as simple as possible since there is a lot of information to be digested by the player. Also there are the stat bars above the player's ship to be considered as well. Thanks for the suggestion.
I just thought back to games like wing commander and tie fighter. Those games had to convey the same info to the player as quickly and logically as possible.

Also, regarding bars on top of the ship itself, my experience from dop, dc and other games like a valley without wind is that it's harder to pay attention to bars on top of your character than stuff on the UI. Not sure why. It might be because the screen just gets too busy around your character.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:58 AM
Elite

Quote:
Also there are the stat bars above the player's ship to be considered as well.
Based on Bluddy's suggestion, why not display a segmented ring around the player's ship, with one quarter representing the status of the shields, armour, structure and power output each?
Old 04-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Champion

finally some UI

-radar: on top right, good, could be more on top and right? On minimap I cannot see planets or other stuff.. only player here?
- red labels aren't so readable, for example "Drakk" or is only my problem?
- for a "normal" player export options (html, vBulletin) is not usefull all the time. Why not have this kind of options in pause menu?
- for shield, plating, structure, energy I like too see some kind of icon near name, so for example in other part of interface this kind of stats could be related (for example top left )
- log, please see my advice (http://www.soldak.com/forums/showpos...1&postcount=10). If I click on "Sol" on log, there is a link to map so I can find quickly Sol ?
- Where can i see my crew?
- on bottom right, what is "3:02" ?
- what kind of stat is ECM or ECCM? Maybe some kind of tooltip can help

- from relation screen "Drox Operatives" plural, so there are more than one operative in game, from a single player point of view I mean ?
- maybe in relation screen can I see my history with those races?
- three races eliminated, yeah!

in general: clean, simple interface! Follow Din and Dop interfaces, both good!

where is xp bar?

I'm waiting to see quest windows, because in this kind of game could make difference between a good game and a great game, finger crossed!
Old 04-10-2012, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

Planets and ships will show up on the radar but the distance is based on your radar stat.

I think the red is more readable in game, but we'll look at it.

Crew are in the light components section. That snowflake looking icon is a Fringe crew member.

The 3:02 is the time. This doesn't default to on, but is an option somewhere.

ECM and ECCM are now gone (well really merged into attack and defense).

There can only be multiple Operatives in multiplayer.

The xp bar is the blue bar on the main screen above the hotkey slots.
Patreon
Old 04-11-2012, 07:36 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornova View Post
I'm waiting to see quest windows, because in this kind of game could make difference between a good game and a great game, finger crossed!
Always interested in what you want to see. What did you have in mind?
Old 04-11-2012, 08:51 AM
Champion

hey thanks shadow for answers!

About quest log: how to filter quests: accepted, closed, ready to, win and lose, maybe filtering them using races or systems (sector) so I can have a "story" of my relation with a race. There is a quest number limit to accept quests, like for example in Dop and Din (5 right?)
Old 04-11-2012, 01:19 PM
Legend

A few comments now that I've had a chance to look at the screenshots again on my computer (I was on vacation before):

- The icons for equipment are perhaps not so clear. I understand that it's hard to come up with good icons for equipment that's fictional, but in DC and DoP the icons were obvious and easily understood: you've got your sword, your mace, your armor etc. I'm sure for that reason it was also easier to illustrate. I feel that the icons in this game really need to differentiate themselves for that reason: they need to feel like they're real equipment. I'm not sure how to do that though, and it's possible that after playing for a while, they icons become more naturally associated with their meaning.

- Along the same lines, I've previously made the comment that I think people will want to see the alien races, especially if they can join your crew. In my mind, manipulating a symbolic icon instead of a picture of a race makes that part of the game seem less vivid. I realize that this was probably done because of budgetary constraints, but it may be worth putting in one picture per race to give a real feel to each race. I know that in games such as Space Rangers 2 and Star Control 2, seeing the races rather than just the ships gives a far more realistic feel to the game's universe.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornova View Post
There is a quest number limit to accept quests, like for example in Dop and Din (5 right?)
Yes there is a limit, but I bumped it up some (10 I think).
Patreon