Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Drox Operative > Drox Operative game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2012, 08:24 PM
Champion

I enjoy the fact that hardcore mode forces me to play more defensively then I normally would. I find that hardcore mode makes me look at certain resistances and items I found unnecessary in normal mode in a whole new light. I start trying to optimize my play around reducing risk/damage rather than trying to optimize damage/reward knowing that a death isn't a huge deal.

In the past I have also engaged in my own personal semi-hardcore mode where I see how far I can get before I die. At that point if I enjoy the character I just continue playing. Next time around I see if I can get my next character further along before the first death occurs.

It is hard to say which mode I will use in Drox Operative yet. I suspect I will want to dive in with hardcore mode and the hardest difficulty just to test the waters and see where I'm at.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:00 PM
Legend

Exactly. There's nothing like hardcore/semi-hardcore mode to make you tense and to force you to consider every move you make as if you really were in the dungeon. IMO It's the best way to immerse yourself into the game world.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:50 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by aReclusiveMind View Post
I enjoy the fact that hardcore mode forces me to play more defensively then I normally would. I find that hardcore mode makes me look at certain resistances and items I found unnecessary in normal mode in a whole new light. I start trying to optimize my play around reducing risk/damage rather than trying to optimize damage/reward knowing that a death isn't a huge deal.

In the past I have also engaged in my own personal semi-hardcore mode where I see how far I can get before I die. At that point if I enjoy the character I just continue playing. Next time around I see if I can get my next character further along before the first death occurs.

It is hard to say which mode I will use in Drox Operative yet. I suspect I will want to dive in with hardcore mode and the hardest difficulty just to test the waters and see where I'm at.
Hardcore and semi-hardcore are both present in Drox. I've tested hardcore and, as you'd expect, find myself devoting a lot more focus on shields and armor. It's pretty much like DC as you need to get a ship to level 25 to unlock it, and death is permanent. No shared stash either. I didn't try to see if I could survive in an escape pod. I'll try to test that and let you know. There are no cave-ins, but there are several other things that can destroy your ship if you're not careful.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

As PixelLord mentioned both normal hardcore and semi-hardcore are in the game right now.

Here's how they currently work:

In hardcore, death is permanent.

In semi-hardcore, the death penalty is 2 Structural crew points. If your base Structural crew points get to 0, death is permanent. It's less points than DC because Structural impacts you structure points (health) and impacts which structural types of components you can equip (armor, structure, etc.).

Neither of them can access the shared stash or repair completely broken components/crew.

Escape pods work in all modes, so they are really important in hardcore.
Patreon
Old 05-14-2012, 04:33 PM
Elite

I would have liked to see death in semi-hardcore mode deduct from Command instead of Structural,
as each loss of a ship would decrease the Operative Guild's faith in the player's ability to properly captain a starship.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgor View Post
I would have liked to see death in semi-hardcore mode deduct from Command instead of Structural,
as each loss of a ship would decrease the Operative Guild's faith in the player's ability to properly captain a starship.
That does make a lot of sense. We would run into a lot of problems really quick though, like if you lose access to a ship and no longer have slots that you have components in.
Patreon
Old 05-14-2012, 08:36 PM
Champion

The other nice thing about hardcore is that you might let some missions pass you by because they are just too dangerous to be worth attempting. This would likely lead to other consequences. Consequences are usually associated with being negative. Perhaps for me their negative natures harkens back to my youthful days when I was told "You'd better do thing XYZ, or there will be consequences to pay!" In all actuality though, consequences in games promote critical thinking and decision making. These are two things that help keep life, and games, interesting each day.

One thing that really impressed me about Din's Curse was the plethora of options you were presented with when creating a new world. Knowing hardcore mode is in Drox Operative already makes it more exciting and increases replayability in my mind.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:23 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
That does make a lot of sense. We would run into a lot of problems really quick though, like if you lose access to a ship and no longer have slots that you have components in.
Well, just don't let it dip below the last "Command-Up" and start deducting Structural at that point.
This would mean they've lost most of their confidence in the player and start issuing worse and worse ships. Should the player manage to reach the next Command-Up without further deaths,
their Structural points could be restored to the new ship type's default.

By the way, is there still an XP debt in Drox Operative? If so, will there be a Soulstone equivalent (a Black Box or Flight Recorder) ?
Old 05-15-2012, 09:22 AM
Elite

Quote:
By the way, is there still an XP debt in Drox Operative? If so, will there be a Soulstone equivalent (a Black Box or Flight Recorder) ?
Yes. And it actually is called a "Black Box" in the game. Nice one, Valgor!
Old 05-15-2012, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Well, just don't let it dip below the last "Command-Up" and start deducting Structural at that point.
That's possible. Of course now that I think about it, deducting Command points is pretty harsh (not that is necessarily a bad thing for a death penalty in semi-hardcore) because the only way to get Command points is through leveling up and applying some of your crew points to it. Other crew attributes can at least be bumped up by found crew.
Patreon