Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Drox Operative > Drox Operative game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2012, 01:34 AM
Elite

I like the idea. Hand crafted challenges every few "universes" will balance out the classic procedural gameplay. It will provide an opportunity for interesting set pieces that are practically impossible to create with the standard "emergent" model that Soldak has used. However, does this mean that the player can be in a position where they cannot beat one of the challenge levels and so become stuck? Or can these levels be skipped?

Speaking of challenges, any chance of getting achievements added? I am not really a fan of the "you reached stage 2" types of achievements, but those that focus on non-obvious or just plain strange gameplay achievements I find interesting.

EDIT: I forgot that DC-DW already has achievements, so I guess that DO will have them as well... I thought the DC achievements were generally pretty well thought out as well.

Last edited by ShaggyMoose : 06-11-2012 at 01:58 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:08 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyMoose View Post
However, does this mean that the player can be in a position where they cannot beat one of the challenge levels and so become stuck? Or can these levels be skipped?
To my understanding, playing a challenge is entirely optional, which means you don't get stuck at, say, level 12 because your current character can't beat the challenge unlocked at that level.

That said, is there an overarching storyline tying all the challenges together into one big "campaign" ?
Old 06-11-2012, 08:44 AM
Elite

Quote:
I like the idea. Hand crafted challenges every few "universes" will balance out the classic procedural gameplay. It will provide an opportunity for interesting set pieces that are practically impossible to create with the standard "emergent" model that Soldak has used. However, does this mean that the player can be in a position where they cannot beat one of the challenge levels and so become stuck? Or can these levels be skipped?

Speaking of challenges, any chance of getting achievements added? I am not really a fan of the "you reached stage 2" types of achievements, but those that focus on non-obvious or just plain strange gameplay achievements I find interesting.

EDIT: I forgot that DC-DW already has achievements, so I guess that DO will have them as well... I thought the DC achievements were generally pretty well thought out as well.
Achievements are there just like in DC-DW. They are slightly different, of course. As far as the challenges, there is also an achievement for each quadrant won (4 sectors/quadrant) as well as for saving the Galaxy.

Challenges are unlocked by reaching a certain level of experience; but currently it appears that the sectors in the challenges are sequential (you have to win one sector to move on to the next). If you couldn't win a sector and wanted to skip it, I don't think that's possible right now. Shadow will have to verify that. So I guess you could feel "stuck" if you were not able to win a sector after many attempts. However, I think this is highly unlikely due to the random nature of the game. Also, you could always go back to the regular game and level up a few times and increase the power of your ship. Then you'd be powerful enough to beat a problem challenge level as their difficulty is not based on the power of your character.

Last edited by PixelLord : 06-11-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgor View Post
Will these replace the regular challenges, or will user-created challenges be handled separately?
There isn't any reason to replace the regular challenges unless a modder wanted to.

Quote:
However, does this mean that the player can be in a position where they cannot beat one of the challenge levels and so become stuck? Or can these levels be skipped?
You can never really get stuck because you always have the option of playing a regular sector, so you can level up all you want and then come back to a challenge sector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgor View Post
That said, is there an overarching storyline tying all the challenges together into one big "campaign" ?
No, I wouldn't call it a storyline.
Patreon
Old 06-11-2012, 10:39 AM
Expert

So this brought up a question for me (someone who has followed the game's development to some degree, but not read up on all the posts): What is the length of a typical random Sector? Are they equivalent of a "town" in Din's Curse that you spend a few hours in? Does a single sector encompass the "4X" experience, then you start over with the new sectors or are they carried over from sector to sector?

Thanks!
Old 06-11-2012, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgimp View Post
What is the length of a typical random Sector? Are they equivalent of a "town" in Din's Curse that you spend a few hours in? Does a single sector encompass the "4X" experience, then you start over with the new sectors or are they carried over from sector to sector?
In general they work like the towns in DC where just your ship is carried over to the next sector. I think the smaller sectors are similar in length the the DC towns.
Patreon
Old 06-11-2012, 11:22 AM
Expert

Hmmm, that's interesting. So what about the large sectors, how big can you make those suckers? If I wanted to go for as long/epic of a 4X sector as I could, what would I be looking at (if you don't mind me asking)?

The challenge sectors sound really good, by the way. I like procedurally generated content but this will be a nice benchmark that everyone can relate to and share.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Currently the sector sizes work out something like this:
tiny - 5 star systems
small - 12 star systems
medium - 25 star systems
large - 37 star systems
huge - 50 star systems

I have no idea how long a game would take in the larger sectors.
Patreon
Old 06-11-2012, 11:47 AM
Expert

Thanks for the info! Eagerly awaiting this title, as always.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:12 PM
Champion

You know, I think I could answer these questions for all of you with a beta copy of the game. I have some time tonight, so all I really need is the game and we can get to the bottom of this.