Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Drox Operative BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2012, 07:03 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyMoose View Post
I had 10 fighters/interceptors attacking a battleship and they literally could not damage it...
What's worse is that the earliest *you* can field something on the size of a Battleship is mid 80s I believe. Does give you a better picture of why combat with faction ships is so lopsided, no?

I'm hoping one of the changes listed for .909 build has fixed some of this disparity, but we'll see.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:38 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerebaldo1 View Post
Also, being able to select enemies or planets to see exactly how much shielding/armor/hull they have while fighters are out would be awesome :-).
Not clear what you mean by this. You can just mouse over at any time to see the state of a entity.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:39 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSoul View Post
What's worse is that the earliest *you* can field something on the size of a Battleship is mid 80s I believe. Does give you a better picture of why combat with faction ships is so lopsided, no?

I'm hoping one of the changes listed for .909 build has fixed some of this disparity, but we'll see.
I am in the camp that says a mercenary should not really be able to take on battleships. Being able to direct race battleships that you are allied with, even in abstract terms, would be enough for me.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:14 PM
Champion

Quote:
I am in the camp that says a mercenary should not really be able to take on battleships. Being able to direct race battleships that you are allied with, even in abstract terms, would be enough for me.
A lowly frigate against a battleship should definitely be a lopsided fight. I'm not arguing that. The issue is that they shouldn't even be *present* at those levels. You shouldn't be facing off against battleships at your level anymore than I should be facing off against Flagships and Titans at the mid 30s (which for reference, a Flagship is minimum of level 94 to unlock last I checked).
Old 07-18-2012, 03:40 PM
Expert

Quote:
A lowly frigate against a battleship should definitely be a lopsided fight. I'm not arguing that. The issue is that they shouldn't even be *present* at those levels. You shouldn't be facing off against battleships at your level anymore than I should be facing off against Flagships and Titans at the mid 30s (which for reference, a Flagship is minimum of level 94 to unlock last I checked).
Why shouldn't they be present? A planet, let alone a race, has much more budget to get ships than a single mercenary.
I agree, that it's rather difficult for a single player to attack a planet, but on the other hand: You are a single ship, it shouldn't be easy to overcome an entire planets defense fleet and destroy the colony. You should need help from your allies. I mean, this game is mainly set around the "get allies to win the sector"-theme.
I hope for the possibility to ask for attacks on planets by your allies, so you don't have to face them alone, but for me it's perfectly okay, that the races are more powerful than a player.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:26 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheet4h View Post
Why shouldn't they be present? A planet, let alone a race, has much more budget to get ships than a single mercenary.
I agree, that it's rather difficult for a single player to attack a planet, but on the other hand: You are a single ship, it shouldn't be easy to overcome an entire planets defense fleet and destroy the colony. You should need help from your allies. I mean, this game is mainly set around the "get allies to win the sector"-theme.
I hope for the possibility to ask for attacks on planets by your allies, so you don't have to face them alone, but for me it's perfectly okay, that the races are more powerful than a player.
Because it makes your participation in a military victory nil. At level 30 I *cannot* stand up to a Flagship or Titan. Not one, let alone the several defending any given planet. "Wait and attack with your allies." For what purpose? I can't even HIT them let alone deal enough damage to them to have a reason for being there. I might as well be shooting blanks for all the difference it makes.

Shouldn't be easy? Try freaking impossible.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:42 AM
Amateur

Quote:
Because it makes your participation in a military victory nil. At level 30 I *cannot* stand up to a Flagship or Titan. Not one, let alone the several defending any given planet. "Wait and attack with your allies." For what purpose? I can't even HIT them let alone deal enough damage to them to have a reason for being there. I might as well be shooting blanks for all the difference it makes.

Shouldn't be easy? Try freaking impossible.
I'm having a different experience, actually.
I'm level 37 now, and since level 25 or so, it has been way faster to go for military victory than any other (with a close second place for diplomatic).

What is on your ship? I'm using lv 35 raider and interceptors, 2 battery chargers, 3 power plants and what's fundamental: a computer virus.
Hit any ship, even a flagship, three times with the virus, and it will be hit reliably by fighters, and will have a difficult time shooting back.
I did experiment with plasma fields, too. While a little less effective are a viable area of effect alternative.

I'll make a top level post with some considerations on "carrier" play, since this thread is pretty much off topic and the chances of Shadow reading it and fixing the UI for the fighter bay users are diminishing -_-'
Old 07-19-2012, 05:21 PM
Amateur

Quote:
A mercenary carrying state of the art equipment vs a race battleship carrying the most cost-effective equipment, definitely doable.

I don't get why people see that as so impossible.

That said, it has indeed gone off-topic like worthstream pointed out.
I'm looking forward to you starting that carrier thread.