Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Drox Operative BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2012, 07:54 AM
Expert

hey guys,

this is a cross post to an idea i put on to the .912 thread this morning that relates to the fighter bay slots. would be interested to get an opinion, cheers....

one feature i thought of recently was to do with my fighters. The whole play as a cruiser with fighters thing works great right now, but i was wondering if it might be possible to implement a little 'fleet control' into the game? something really simple, like one button for switching your fighters between two modes...

1) follow and attack at will [as things are now]

and

2) follow and attack nothing until i do or i switch you back to the free attack mode (#1).

The UI would not need a major overhaul if for example you just changed the font color of your fighter ships when they were in mode 1 or two (white and yellow for example) or it could be represented by a simple icon (like the others in use now). Also, would only need one new keybind control.

Using exactly the same system this would then allow for some kind of target focusing for your fighter fleet. i.e. fly into a combat situation with fighters in mode two, then when i attack my intended target all my fighters break into combat mode but with my first target as their primary target (until it is destroyed?).

thoughts??
Old 08-01-2012, 08:04 AM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasan View Post
hey guys,

this is a cross post to an idea i put on to the .912 thread this morning that relates to the fighter bay slots. would be interested to get an opinion, cheers....

one feature i thought of recently was to do with my fighters. The whole play as a cruiser with fighters thing works great right now, but i was wondering if it might be possible to implement a little 'fleet control' into the game? something really simple, like one button for switching your fighters between two modes...

1) follow and attack at will [as things are now]

and

2) follow and attack nothing until i do or i switch you back to the free attack mode (#1).

The UI would not need a major overhaul if for example you just changed the font color of your fighter ships when they were in mode 1 or two (white and yellow for example) or it could be represented by a simple icon (like the others in use now). Also, would only need one new keybind control.

Using exactly the same system this would then allow for some kind of target focusing for your fighter fleet. i.e. fly into a combat situation with fighters in mode two, then when i attack my intended target all my fighters break into combat mode but with my first target as their primary target (until it is destroyed?).

thoughts??
This was available in DC, so I don't see why it shouldn't be doable here.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:55 AM
Expert

Yea, most games with minions allow stance toggles, would be nice to have here.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, we did this in DC. We probably didn't have fighters yet when I took it out.
Patreon
Old 08-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Champion

In general, after thinking about it for a while, I would prefer the OP's idea for bays and secondary support ships. Each bay should be just one ship, but that one ship is the equivalent in damage and durability of all 5 ships combined. They should also inherit certain amounts of your ship's attack, defense, armor/shields/structure (I'd nominate just 50% of your shields), and possibly even resistances (I'd say 100% of all of your resistances).

Secondly (or rather more importantly), each ship is tied to that specific bay. If you uninstall their bay, the ship despawns. The bay that a ship launches from doesn't begin recharging till the ship is removed from play. There will always be a minimum of a 10 second delay between when a ship is destroyed and when a new one can replace them.

Now onto another bit: Bay levels. These should be like your crew in that they earn xp, and they level up over the course of the game but any secondary stats remain unchanged, just the ship's level value.

Finally, each type of ship should have their own specialty.
Fighters are your all around ships and don't excel at anything.
Interceptors are extremely fast and agile ships, with an exceptionally high defense multiplier, but overall lower damage.
Bombers are slow moving, high damage, medium durability ships.
Raiders are high durability ships with improved speed and moderate weapons
There's a fifth type that I forget the name of offhand at the moment but these would be similar to Interceptors but instead of focusing on damage these ships use viruses and the like to weaken, disrupt, and disable their targets.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:03 PM
Expert

If we're talking about adding a bunch of fighter subtypes, I'd really like to see some support-oriented ones, especially for multiplayer. Target painters, repair drones, tractor beams to reduce target speed, etc. I'd like to see more options in terms of being able to support and I think fighters are a good fit.