Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Drox Operative BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2012, 11:49 AM
Amateur

Yeah the fixed regen rate makes finding shield regen items a bit of a bummer. EG 40% quicker? Doesn't make much difference when you have 300 shield points total and your rate goes from 0.4/second to 0.6/second.
The only way I can get shields up quickly is from a planet, recharge base, or kicking off one of the boosts.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:58 AM
Champion

My shields are up around 2,500 at this point and even the shield recharge consumable (which I pop like candy) only give back about a quarter of my total. I put four shield recharge units in and the regen rate was not noticeable.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:05 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboAV View Post
My shields are up around 2,500 at this point and even the shield recharge consumable (which I pop like candy) only give back about a quarter of my total. I put four shield recharge units in and the regen rate was not noticeable.
Yep, and the problem is your shields keep going up but regen doesn't scale at all. Unlike energy where your amount goes up but it also scales regen using engineering. I would personally like to see just a set % of regen, it'd be the simplest solution and wouldn't mess up the current shield regen items.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:21 PM
Amateur

Fourteen posts all agreeing on the need for a fix for shield regen.
I bet this is already on Shadow's to do list.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:41 PM
Amateur

Default Worthless Shield Regeneration

Today I was so happy. First I found and installed 33% shield regeneration, and almost immediately found one in the 40% range.

Absolutely no difference in shield regeneration rate (well, that mattered to me). Such devices are a total waste of space.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:07 PM
Champion

I still say the answer is to have energy-regen spill over into shield regen when your energy supply is filled up. It minimizes the combat effects of shield regen because you'd have to stop shooting for it to come into play (and that just delays the inevitable), while still giving your shields the ability to rapidly replenish when you're not in any danger. That being said, this value should gradually ramp up rather than simply being on/off . I'd say give it a good 10-15 seconds to go from 0 spill over to 300% spill over (1 energy regen = 3 shields).

However, Shield Regen components need a LOT of love. I'd say bump them up to a medium-sized component, and instead of a percentile shield regen boost, they simply add a flat amount of shield regen. Something akin to roughly .25 shield regen per level. They'd have higher power reqs than actual shields and being a medium component, force you to chose between having *more* shields or shields that regenerate faster.

Ex: A level 100 shield is worth ~1000 shields. A level 100 Regenerator is worth ~25 shield regen. It would take 40 seconds of sustained combat before the regen catches up with just having more shields. Keep in mind that a level 100 enemy is chewing up and spitting out ~25 shield regen just as easily as your level 1 enemies were blowing through that whopping 0.4 shield regen we all started with.

(There's also the possibility of having the percentile shield regen thing getting moved to a second bonus stat exclusively for shields)
Old 08-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Elite

You know, it's aaaaawful hard to kick race enemy butt as it is....I'd think about shield regen rates before knocking the current slower than lava rates....
Old 08-06-2012, 11:21 AM
Expert

Well now that we have had a shield regen boost what do you all think?

I loaded into me level 20 fringe ship which has about 250 shields. Had a 0.9 regen and with the 34% regen I popped in it upped it to about 1.2. Not too bad and certainly a improvement though I wouldn't mind seeing it higher.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:03 PM
Champion

The regen rates are still not enough to justify the component slots.

For instance, I spent some time (after the regen boost) leveling a dryad ship with the idea of using shield/armor regen as the theme of the ship. 2 racial slots dedicated to shield armor regen. I often had two more shield regen units in light spots and an armor regen unit in the medium spot. Another 3-4 component were filled with the actual shield and armor components. I took the ship up to Lvl 32(ish) before dropping it. Even with 5 component dedicated to regen, I could not rely on regen to carry enough of the workload to make the build really work. I was still very dependent on consumables. It still took multiple minutes after battle to let the regen work. In battle...

The most regen-centric ship I could make did not regen well enough to rely on.

Regen rates could be bumped again.

Perhaps shield regen could work on a surge basis, so you get a big bump on a timed basis. A variation on LostSoul's idea would be that shields don't regen in combat, but once you are out of combat for X amount of time, the shield regen kicks in at a phenomenal rate.

For armor regen... Does anyone know how this works exactly? Does your armor regen rate work on your total armor score or each piece individually? Generally, if I'm using armor, then I am using multiple pieces. I don't have a full understanding of how the armor is damaged (is it one after another, like layers of an onion?), so I'm not sure what to suggest other than another rate bump.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboAV View Post
For armor regen... Does anyone know how this works exactly? Does your armor regen rate work on your total armor score or each piece individually? Generally, if I'm using armor, then I am using multiple pieces. I don't have a full understanding of how the armor is damaged (is it one after another, like layers of an onion?), so I'm not sure what to suggest other than another rate bump.
It should work on the total. Damage will go to the first armor it finds until it is destroyed, then it will move on to the next.
Patreon