Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Drox Operative BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2012, 03:02 PM
Expert

Default Faction Biases

I was thinking it would be very interesting if each race had a bias factor towards the drox (and maybe each other).

Basically, this would be a multiplier against any relationship modifier. So, anytime a relationship effect occurs, the bias factor will either increase or decrease the net change.

Basically, the bias models how the races look at you (and maybe each other). If they like you, then things you do seem better than they are. Also, if they don't like you, everything is tainted by that as well.

It would add another level to the relationships that would make things much more interesting and realistic. You basically have two factors, your current standing and their disposition.

Perhaps the bias could (mathematically) range between 0.5 and 2. Abstractly, it could be represented as words (Hate, dislike, neutral, like, love). So, if they really don't like you, you are rated .5. That means, if you did a quest that would have given +1.5 relationship, you actually only get .75. Otherwise, if they love you, then you would get 3.

Now, the really interesting part would be if these biases were hidden at first, but you could discover them through the course of the game. Maybe some quests would reveal it, but otherwise just interacting with them will reveal it over time.

This would give you an incentive not to pick an ally early, but to figure out who is naturally disposed towards you.

Obviously, some of your actions will tilt the bias as well. Destroying a planet, going to war, etc will definitely effect it. The great part of this is that if you do manage to broker peace, maybe you relationship could be set back to a non-war level, but the bias will still be there. It builds in a kind of racial memory for you to deal with as well.

Likewise, you can do things to improve the bias as well. So, maybe some quests don't give much of a relationship boost, but they improve the bias instead.

Finally, if each race had a bias towards each other, you could factor in that when deciding to go for multi-race alliances. If they have a positive bias, then they tend to improve relations. If they are negative, the alliance is doomed to break down in bickering.

Thoughts?
Old 07-19-2012, 04:07 PM
Champion

My first thought is the race's basic characteristics- the Shadow will betray and are sneaky, the Brunt like to smash and the Fringe (in my experience) commit suicide as fast as possible- serve roughly the same function.

That said, why the race's behave as they do is regularly a mystery to me.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

The races do have some built in biases.
Patreon
Old 07-19-2012, 05:34 PM
Expert

Hi Shadow,
I hope you don't mind me asking about what's going on behind the scenes, but I am really curious.

Are the faction biases static based on race?
Are they randomized at all on startup?
Do they change over the course of a sector?
Is there any chance you will make this aspect more visible to the player?
Old 07-20-2012, 11:58 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
The races do have some built in biases.
I've noticed that brunt and drakk really don't get along...
Old 07-20-2012, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmack View Post
Are the faction biases static based on race?
Are they randomized at all on startup?
Do they change over the course of a sector?
Is there any chance you will make this aspect more visible to the player?
There are some static biases and some random biases generated on a new sector. The biases don't change during the game, but they can go against their biases.
Patreon