Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Drox Operative BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2012, 11:11 AM
Legend

Default Fighter bays too large

A common issue with pets in ARPGs is that they reduce engagement. Yes, you're taking care of them, but you're also not doing much else, because they do it for you. In DC, this wasn't a problem until you had quite a few pets with you. Also, because undead monsters required a body to be raised, it wasn't that easy to recreate pets if they died.

With fighters/interceptors in Drox, this problem is quite severe IMO. You launch your fighters, and then you have no idea/control of what they're doing out there. One idea is to mark some targets for them in some manner. However, I think a bigger issues is that there are too many fighters per bay. 5 fighters are way too much to keep track of. If you instead only had 1 figher per bay (of course it'd have to be buffed up to compensate), you could babysit that fighter and have control over what it was doing. Artifact bays could offer 2 fighters.

It also doesn't make sense that a small ship could serve as a bay for 5/10 fighters at a time. This should be something reserved for the largest ships in the game, and that's exactly what would happen if you had 6-7 bays in a huge ship, each providing 1 ship.

As another unrelated idea, perhaps your fighters could use any extra crew you have in your cargo hold. When they blow up, you could fetch their rescue pods to retrieve that crew member. This would make you much more involved in what happens to your fighter(s).
Old 07-26-2012, 07:48 AM
Elite

I dunno, I think the fighters do a decent enough job of picking targets; they basically attack whatever you are attacking. If you are running away, they watch your back. In terms of size, I just think of them as defense drones rather than manned ships.

Overall, it sounds like you are after more of a wingman, whereas I am happy with my dispensable faceless swarm.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:10 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyMoose View Post
Overall, it sounds like you are after more of a wingman, whereas I am happy with my dispensable faceless swarm.
I want it both ways. I like the swarm and use it as ShaggyMoose details. I've also tried a carrier build with more than one fighter bay and that quickly became maddening for me as there was just too much going on. I could get behind fighter bay components with different numbers/power levels of fighters.

Or a Michael Bay component that just blows sh!t up real good.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:44 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyMoose View Post
I dunno, I think the fighters do a decent enough job of picking targets; they basically attack whatever you are attacking. If you are running away, they watch your back. In terms of size, I just think of them as defense drones rather than manned ships.
I think they just teleport after a while to where you are, which is why you get the feeling that they watch your back.

Quote:
Just as an example, flying about with fighters deployed, I get all sorts of XP points and quests completed. I have no idea what the fighters are fighting, nor am I involved. It removes me from the action and from being in control. When I attack an enemy planet, they're just another factor in the mess that occurs as 20+ ships fight on screen.

At the same time, they're too beneficial to NOT use them. It's like giving every class in DC a pet -- would you refuse to use a pet? No, because it's too helpful. So I'd rather have the same idea as we have now, but with reduced numbers so I can keep track of what's going on with them. If there's one per bay, a small ship will be able to afford only a wingman, but a huge ship could have 5 of them and therefore have a fleet of fighters. If each one is stronger, you get the same effect as you have now except you could actually keep track of the action.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:38 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy View Post
I think they just teleport after a while to where you are, which is why you get the feeling that they watch your back.
Yes they do, which I always thought was a bit weird... Generally they are just trailing along behind me though, at least the faster ones.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:29 PM
Expert

I haven't played around with fighter bays much. Is there just one type of fighter, or how do the bays differ? If it's not already the case, I'd like to see various subtypes of hangars. Fighters, Bombers, drones that help shoot down missiles, etc.

I do like the idea of only the larger ships having enough hangar capacity to send swarms of strikecraft out though. 5 does seem a bit much, unless they were tiny anti-missile drones or the like.

EDIT: Oooh, and how about little repair drones and that kind of stuff if you wanted to help heal a friend? Shield boosters, targeting enhancers... I always like interesting mechanics to help my friends in coop play.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:10 PM
Expert

I play a level 33 Fringe carrier with 3 bays...sort of. I haven't been able to play much over the past few weeks and I think Drakk ships are better suited for my build so I have a level 4 Drakk carrier I want to focus on eventually. Playing as a "pet summoner" in this game requires me to be active because fighters miss a lot and are destroyed somewhat easily unless I support them with debuffs. I use computer viruses on everything to support my fighters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy
However, I think a bigger issues is that there are too many fighters per bay. 5 fighters are way too much to keep track of. If you instead only had 1 figher per bay (of course it'd have to be buffed up to compensate), you could babysit that fighter and have control over what it was doing. Artifact bays could offer 2 fighters.
I like the swarm of fighters. The pet AI isn't aggressive enough to rely on a small number of ships for offense although being able to order your fighters to attack would fix that issue if max ship count was lowered.

Quote:
It also doesn't make sense that a small ship could serve as a bay for 5/10 fighters at a time. This should be something reserved for the largest ships in the game, and that's exactly what would happen if you had 6-7 bays in a huge ship, each providing 1 ship.
I think fighters are way oversized graphically just so you can see them. I am assuming only 1 or 2 people fly them though. Look how big they are compared to my flagship. 5 fighters per bay would probably make sense if they were the same scale as your ship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgimp
I haven't played around with fighter bays much. Is there just one type of fighter, or how do the bays differ? If it's not already the case, I'd like to see various subtypes of hangars. Fighters, Bombers, drones that help shoot down missiles, etc.
All of the bays function the same way. Repair drones would be neat though. You can only have 5 of each type of ship out so you need to use a different type of bay in each slot. If you have 2 bomber bays for example, you would still only be able to have 5 bombers out.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:14 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowy Figure View Post
You can only have 5 of each type of ship out so you need to use a different type of bay in each slot. If you have 2 bomber bays for example, you would still only be able to have 5 bombers out.
Oh I totally forgot about that restriction when writing my post above. It looks like that restriction was put in to prevent collecting too many ships. Why not just reduce the number of ships per bay to 1-2 and allow as many bays/ships as the player wants to dedicate slots to?

Quote:
I play a level 33 Fringe carrier with 3 bays...sort of. I haven't been able to play much over the past few weeks and I think Drakk ships are better suited for my build so I have a level 4 Drakk carrier I want to focus on eventually. Playing as a "pet summoner" in this game requires me to be active because fighters miss a lot and are destroyed somewhat easily unless I support them with debuffs. I use computer viruses on everything to support my fighters.
They should only miss a lot and be destroyed easily if you use lower level fighters against high level monsters. Also, I don't know if you've played since fighters were buffed recently. For me they can survive for a while, especially if they're not up against race ships. They just wreck those poor monsters though.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:17 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Oh I totally forgot about that restriction when writing my post above. It looks like that restriction was put in to prevent collecting too many ships. Why not just reduce the number of ships per bay to 1-2 and allow as many bays/ships as the player wants to dedicate slots to?
Let's not forget that you're in practice limited to only ten fighters by the UI that does not show more than ten at once.

Quote:
They should only miss a lot and be destroyed easily if you use lower level fighters against high level monsters. Also, I don't know if you've played since fighters were buffed recently. For me they can survive for a while, especially if they're not up against race ships. They just wreck those poor monsters though.
Yes, they're quite good. Quakes and Patchworks do tear through fighters easily, anyway.
Fighters are good against monsters of lower or equal level, but have an hard time hitting anything of an higher level that has not been virused thrice.

Quote:
I think fighters are way oversized graphically just so you can see them. I am assuming only 1 or 2 people fly them though. Look how big they are compared to my flagship.
A couple of command levels later and it really gets out of proportions http://i.imgur.com/9ikRU.jpg

Last edited by Worthstream : 07-27-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:08 PM
Expert

Quote:
In practice, that is how the restriction works out. I was trying to explain to goodgimp why you use different types of bays since they all do the same thing. I've seen 6 different types of bays so you can have 30 ships out total (5 from each type of bay). I'm not sure you can make a ship that handles that power load though. People seem to say "fighters bays" when referring to bays in general. I assumed you were doing it too.

Quote:
I've played with the buffed fighters. They were buffed in .906 and my game is patched to .909 right now. Keeping 3 bays up to date is difficult though. I usually have at least 1 bay that is behind my ship by 4 or 5 levels so that is probably why they seem a little fragile to use without supporting them with viruses.