Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Drox Operative BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2012, 09:12 AM
Expert

Default Shield Regen

Okay, so I like shields, call me a nerd but they are just more cool than armor. So what are shield advantages? Well by default they regen at 0.4/s so thats cool, early on it isn't bad. However, once you get 500 shields that 0.4/s is pretty pathetic. So you say how about I put a nice shield regen mod on? So I find one and it gives 35% shield regen. Which does absolutely nothing.... I'm still sitting at 0.4/s, maybe 0.5/s if I'm lucky...

In contrast finding a repair unit that regens armor at 0.5/s+ is easy making armor a better option to be perfectly honest.

I propose that you get a small boost to shield regen for engineering points, or just make it so that shields regen at a percentage of their max plus a base minimum. So currently they regen at 0.4/s, make is so that they also regen 0.5% of max, so with 100 shields you would get a rate of 0.9/s and with 1000 you would get 5.4/s. Then if you find a shield recharger maybe it would be worth it.

Example, I have 200 shields with a level 12 ship, regen would be 1.2/s and then if I find a 35% recharge I get knocked up to 1.6/s which is a reasonable boost.

I think this system makes more sense as shields are supposed to natively recharge and armor really shouldn't be able to recharge faster so easily.

Thoughts?
Old 07-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Champion

No, what you do is feed excess energy regeneration into shields. It's largely a non-factor in combat because you'll be using that energy to fire weapons and use sub-systems.

I hesitate to give exact ratios though. That's a little trickier to find the right sweet spot for. I would suggest that this added shield regen from energy be subject to shield regeneration booster effects though (like the bonus small component that dryads get).
Old 07-27-2012, 01:46 PM
Expert

My ship is heavy on Shields and low on Armor and I'm having the same problem trying to keep levels constantly up. I had this issue with Energy until I installed an item that gave me 70 energy per hit from an enemy - problem solved with the yellow; now the blue needs love.

At ship level 26, I really haven't found a solution for the Shields yet...and my Structure isn't rated too high, either. This makes playing with a Shuttle installed almost a necessity to avoid those stellar star-splattering moments. There might be more items which help immensely that I haven't discovered yet, so back in the cockpit I go...

Last edited by Shardz : 07-27-2012 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Added "Drox Follies" comic image for fun.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Expert

I think regeneration rates need some tweaking though it may just be my playstyle. Regeneration is so low for both armor and shields that it doesn't matter. The active shield boosts let me instantly recharge a large chunk of missing shields once per minute which is what I need for combat. I like playing with high defense so the damage I take isn't predictable enough to rely on regeneration.

I feel like raising structural to use armor is a waste of crew points when I can just use shields. I've been wanting to give armor another chance though and experiment with a new ship. I just haven't been able to play much lately.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:20 PM
Elite

I agree that shield regen is largely worthless in its current form. I've found shield regen components that are over +100% regen and I can't even tell the difference after installing them. I'm running three power plants with tons of extra supply, which is great for my energy regen rate, but the shield regen might as well be 0 it's so slow.

Perhaps it should scale based on a percentage of your shields rather than a static number?
Old 07-28-2012, 01:23 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrObot View Post
Perhaps it should scale based on a percentage of your shields rather than a static number?
Exactly my thoughts. This way regeneration should scale nicely with stronger shields.

Another idea to add to this one would be to have some regeneration modifiers on shields themselves. Like for example having low hitpoint high regen and high hitpoint low regen shields. Not sure how it could work though since we can install multiple components of same type. I guess that each shield should be traced separately then.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:18 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrObot View Post
I agree that shield regen is largely worthless in its current form. I've found shield regen components that are over +100% regen and I can't even tell the difference after installing them. I'm running three power plants with tons of extra supply, which is great for my energy regen rate, but the shield regen might as well be 0 it's so slow.

A percentage is what I recommended. :P 0.5% would work out well i think.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:29 PM
Amateur

Sounds like a good idea. I would probably go even further and increase percentage regeneration a lot and instead lower max strength of the shields.

This way we would have shields that quickly go down and quickly regenerate, excellent for short fights and hit and run tactics and armor that has more staying power but takes longer to repair.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:54 AM
Champion

Shield regen does seem rather low.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:57 AM
Elite

Sheild regen is negligible on my ships, too. Is there significant improvement for installing specific items? I haven't tried it yet. If not, then installing items should make a notable improvement in sheild regen rate, and that would give us the dilemma of whether to consider those highly important items (the same way thrust & energy are so vital...).