Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-10-2010, 02:58 AM
graffen69 graffen69 is offline
Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 122
Default Cloth/Leather vs. Mail/Plate

Getting into a full set of high armor rating Plate or Mail Armor whcih requires 100-128 Strength (and equipping Maces which also only requires Str) is really easy at level 8 (or even lower), what with +25 Str potions and lots of +Stat gear, then switching back to regular gear. I kinda like this ”Twink”-ability for those classes invloved, but to be fair they have a HUGE advantage over leather and cloth armor users. As much as i´d like to see it unchanged (my alts are Plate and Mail users, my main is not), i rather see it equally balanced by either setting Int or/and Dex requirement on Cloth/Leather Armor or a level requirement on Plate/Mail Armor.
Also, Staff Dex requirements seems to be unproportionally low compared to other weapons. As an example, using high DPS staffs on say a Druid/Assassin Stalker is far superior since its such a low Dex req.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-10-2010, 06:40 AM
Valgor Valgor is offline
Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 600
Default

The requirements on staves are low so that full caster builds are able to wield them without spending otherwise wasted points on Dexterity. I think that's the whole reason...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-10-2010, 10:22 AM
Jorlen's Avatar
Jorlen Jorlen is offline
Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada's Capital
Posts: 229
Default

Well, being able to keep equipped items that you no longer have the requirements for is without a doubt, a bug.

What should happen is the item would become unusable if your stats go below the requirements.

It's too easy to just quaff a STR / DEX potion and be rid of any requirements and equip the best stuff. It's a loophole.
__________________
- Jorlen
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-10-2010, 04:15 PM
DeathKnight1728's Avatar
DeathKnight1728 DeathKnight1728 is offline
Legend
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Joisey
Posts: 1,074
Default

I dont know if this makes sense but....Rogue and stealthy type characters (Ranger) who wear leather, should get a bonus to defense or something to make up for the lack of armor amount. Even though plate is great for warriors for protection, Leather should prevent you getting hit in the first place.

Look at all of the other games with characters that wear those armors. Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, Diablo 2, etc.
Each of those games allow characters that aren't as "Durable" as others to make up for it in evasion and other forms of avoidance. It makes perfect sense.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-10-2010, 04:31 PM
Jorlen's Avatar
Jorlen Jorlen is offline
Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada's Capital
Posts: 229
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight1728 View Post
I dont know if this makes sense but....Rogue and stealthy type characters (Ranger) who wear leather, should get a bonus to defense or something to make up for the lack of armor amount. Even though plate is great for warriors for protection, Leather should prevent you getting hit in the first place.

Look at all of the other games with characters that wear those armors. Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, Diablo 2, etc.
Each of those games allow characters that aren't as "Durable" as others to make up for it in evasion and other forms of avoidance. It makes perfect sense.
The trickster tree (rogue) has two passive skills that significantly add to defensive capabilities, not to mention he can go stealth.
__________________
- Jorlen
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-10-2010, 05:33 PM
viper34j viper34j is offline
Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorlen View Post
Well, being able to keep equipped items that you no longer have the requirements for is without a doubt, a bug.
.
Keeping items equipped that you no longer have the stat requirements for is without a doubt NOT a bug.

This is a compromise intended to lessen the impact of curses. If you unequipped all items that you were no longer qualified for then every time you were cursed you'd be nekked! (I doubt many people are wearing gear that have requirements 30-50% below their stats)

I do not necessarily agree with this mechanic, nor do I really think Shadow does either. But, how should it be handled?

Maybe have curses act in a special way that doesn't unequip items when your stats drop? Maybe implement a penalty for wearing items that are outside your means (add up str on all items over your max str level and reduce the characters movement speed by some factor, something like that)?

Last edited by viper34j : 05-10-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-10-2010, 05:44 PM
Jorlen's Avatar
Jorlen Jorlen is offline
Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada's Capital
Posts: 229
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper34j View Post
Keeping items equipped that you no longer have the stat requirements for is without a doubt NOT a bug.

This is a compromise intended to lessen the impact of curses. If you unequipped all items that you were no longer qualified for then every time you were cursed you'd be nekked! (I doubt many people are wearing gear that have requirements 30-50% below their stats)

I do not necessarily agree with this mechanic, nor do I really think Shadow does either. But, how should it be handled?

Maybe have curses act in a special way that doesn't unequip items when your stats drop? Maybe implement a penalty for wearing items that are outside your means (add up str on all items over your max str level and reduce the characters movement speed by some factor, something like that)?
Hrm.

Detrimental effects such as curse and shrink would have to be excluded from that rule.

And yeah, maybe a sort of penalty, based on how much you're missing from the requirement.
__________________
- Jorlen
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-10-2010, 07:54 PM
graffen69 graffen69 is offline
Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 122
Default

Viper34j wrote
Quote:
Maybe have curses act in a special way that doesn't unequip items when your stats drop? Maybe implement a penalty for wearing items that are outside your means (add up str on all items over your max str level and reduce the characters movement speed by some factor, something like that)?
Or give a temporary minus to all skill levels (1 being lowest for any skill learned).
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-10-2010, 09:09 PM
TheRani TheRani is offline
Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 137
Default

Removing the stat reduction of curses and just having curses lower your damage and HP and MP and attack speed would probably be good for getting around that.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-10-2010, 09:38 PM
torikamal's Avatar
torikamal torikamal is offline
Elite
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: St. Louis Park, MN (basically Minneapolis)
Posts: 258
Default

Honestly, the ability to equip items should really only be based on your..."permanent" attributes. So curse would really just be adding negative points, but not affect your actual base.

One way to void accidentally taking an item off and then making all the items not work because you have your stat bonuses in the wrong order now, would be to be able to wear things that you don't qualify for yet and they will be completely red (and get zero abilities from them). However, if the total addition of all the items eventually makes everything work, then the red would go away, and you could use the item.

Also, if an item becomes broken, it's probably only fair that you can't get any bonuses from it since it is, well...broken.
__________________
-TK
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2007 - 2021 Soldak Entertainment, Inc.